Review: Party Poker
Party Poker: World’s 3rd Largest Poker Site
Party Poker is one of the world’s first poker sites, and therefore we owe them a huge amount. Without them, the online poker surge might not have happened, and this site might not have even been here! Their success has spawned a massive number of rival poker sites – many of whom are also offering mobile poker to their players – and poker has become one of the world’s fastest growing hobbies. Have they kept up with the competition or are they starting to lose ground to the new faces? Find out in our comprehensive review.
Click to read more about each section.
In a nutshell…
- World’s 3rd Largest Poker Site, with only PokerStars and 888Poker having more players.
- High standard of players
- Many cash games, although there are no tournaments available
- Try Fastforward Poker – no waiting for other players!
- Mobile player bonus – Enter POKERAPPS when making your first deposit
- Owned by the same company as Bwin, making them an extremely powerful combination.
- Play-money tables available – improve your game without risking money
Party Poker Overview
|Languages||English, German, Spanish, French, Hungarian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Swedish, Russian, Greek|
|Currencies||GBP, EUR, USD, CAD, JPY|
|Restricted Countries||Bulgaria, Myanmar/Burma, India, Afghanistan, Cook Islands, Cuba, Guatemala, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Libya, Nauru, Nigeria, Sudan, Sierra Leone, USA, China, Israel, France, Italy, Turkey|
|Software Provider(s)||Party Gaming|
|Casino Type||Instant Play, Mobile App|
||Party Poker’s Facebook page|
|Party Poker on Twitter – @partypoker|
|Helpline number||00-800-7278-9100 or Live Chat|
|Help email||[email protected]|
|Number of Games||Numerous cash games, Sit & Go games and fastforward games|
|Bonuses||100% First deposit Match and other weekly promotions|
|Wagering Requirements||Those playing with GBP will have to collect 9x their bonus amounts in points before the bonus is cleared|
|Banking Options||Debit/ Credit Cards, Skrill, Paysafecard, PayPal, Neteller, Entropay, Ukash, Western Union, Kalixa, Direct Bank Transfer, ClickandBuy|
What’s the most important aspect to any mobile poker site? Yep, that’s right – it’s the games! And when it comes to the games on Party Poker, it really is a mixed bag. The fact that Party Poker is one of the world’s biggest sites means that you’ll always be able to get a game here though, which is definitely a plus point in their favour. Don’t expect to have to wait more than a couple of minutes to find a cash table that suits your needs (there’s a massive selection, ranging from small stakes through to nosebleed stakes), although if you are looking for something other than cash tables, you might be waiting for quite a while…
This is due to the fact that Party Poker does not offer any other game types, aside from standard cash games and Sit & Go games. This is obviously something that we have a big problem with – in fact, it is the reason why it didn’t score higher in our Top 10 Mobile Poker Sites article (it came 4th, behind PokerStars, 888Poker and PKR). Quite simply put, just having two types of games isn’t acceptable, and they need to get tournaments included within their line-up as soon as possible. If they do, they’ll be a formidable mobile poker site, able to compete with PokerStars for the top spot.
It is also the case that the types of poker available isn’t too varied either – in fact, they currently only offer Texas Hold ‘Em to all their mobile players. This irks us somewhat too, as it wouldn’t take much to at least add Omaha in to the mix. We’re not as bothered by this as we are with the omission of tournaments though, as most other mobile poker sites only offer Texas Hold ‘Em too. Once again though, if they add more types of poker, their stock will rise hugely with us, and we’ll be recommending them to everyone!
So far, this section of the review has mainly yielded disappointment, but we have something to cheer you up. Party Poker offers all players on its mobile site the chance to skip the waiting and cram in as many hands as possible, thanks to its Fastforward poker feature. This feature is pretty much the same as Rush Poker and Zoom Poker from FTP and PokerStars respectively, in that it allows you to start a new hand on a new table, as soon as you fold your hand. When it comes to the different speed poker variations from the different sites, there’s not much difference, but the fact that Party Poker offers it shows that they are willing to run with the field and give players what they want. Hopefully this points to a continued desire to improve, which should bring more poker styles to the site!
So, if you take the games as your only benchmark, it is hard to recommend Party Poker to anyone. Luckily, however, there are other factors to take into account – factors that propel them higher in our estimations and should make you consider them when looking for a new place to play…
Bonuses and Promotions
Bonuses and promotions are great: they give you extra money to play with or brilliant prizes to win. So why don’t some sites offer enough of them? Luckily for anyone thinking of playing at Party Poker, the bonuses and promotions on offer here are bountiful, ranging from welcome bonuses through to bonuses for established players. Firstly, here are the bonuses for new players at the site:
- 100% Deposit Match. Sign up to the site and deposit up to $50. When you do, Party Poker will match your deposit, giving you twice as much money to play with! You’ll have to earn 9x your deposit though in order to allow the bonus money to be withdrawn though, which isn’t too much compared to other sites.
- Free £15 upon signing up, no deposit required. This bonus is split into three parts: £5 to use on cash tables, £5 to use in tournaments and £5 to use in the casino. The only snag is that mobile players can play tournaments or casino games, so you’ll have to jump on the computer to use these??
There are also a number of other bonuses offered by Party Poker, including:
- Party Poker will set missions on a regular basis, which can include challenges such as winning with certain hands, or playing a certain number of hands. When a mission is completed, you’ll get $25 in your account. Special missions are also sometimes introduced, with prizes worth far more than $25!
- Freeroll tickets.When you deposit, Party Poker will often give you tickets to freerolls. These freerolls can have large cash prizes or tickets to major tournaments waiting for the winners, so everyone should make sure they play!
- Refer a Friend.For every new player you refer to the Party Poker website, you’ll earn a reward – providing they make a deposit.
- Casual Cash Game.This isn’t really a bonus, but we love it. Party Poker have introduced Casual Cash Game tables, which are solely for those looking to play one table at a time. This means that there is no waiting around for those multi-table players anymore.
- Cash Booster.There is a Cash Booster tournament every Sunday, which gives players the chance to win a share of $5,000. New players get a free ticket to the Cash Booster tournament, while other players can qualify simple by earning 5 points during the week. Those earning just 1 point will gain entry to the qualifiers, while anyone making a deposit needs to use the code BOOSTER to claim a free ticket to the main tournament.
It might not be the most glamorous side of mobile poker, but making withdrawals and deposits is a vital aspect of every site. Firstly, the fact that you can make deposits and withdraw money through the app is a good start, as some poker sites don’t even allow this. When you consider the fact that they also allow players to deposit in a number of different ways, we can’t help but be even more impressed. After all, there’s not much worse than a site that only allows one or two forms of payment – especially if you don’t have access to either.
The depositing options available on Party Poker are:
- Credit and debit cards – Visa, Mastercard, Entropay and Maestro
- E-wallets – Neteller, Skrill, Paypal, ClickandBuy
- Prepaid cards – Ukash, Kalixa and paysafecard
- Direct bank transfer, Western Union
It should also be mentioned here that all transactions are conducted extremely quickly, with the money landing in your Party Poker account within a few moments. While you might expect this to be true at all sites, it unfortunately isn’t. Overall, there’s a feeling of security when depositing money at Party Poker, which can’t be a bad thing at all.
As you’d expect from a company the size and stature of Party Poker, the performance of their mobile poker offering is very good. Those downloading the app will find that it is a very reasonable size – 16.8MB for Apple, 14.3MB on Android – and the apps include everything you’ll need for an enjoyable poker experience. Updates are made available on a regular basis, and we expect this to continue as more and more features are made available to mobile players.
Support options to players at Party Poker are varied, and queries are answered in a timely and accurate way. They have a really large FAQ section, meaning that there’s often no need to engage their customer service team, however if you can’t find an answer, the best option is to use live chat – questions are usually answered within a couple of minutes. There are contact numbers for players in many different countries, however players outside these countries can use a special international number.
Play alongside famous players
If you are looking to play at the same place as some famous names, with players such as Marvin Rettenmaier and Tony G, you’ve come to the right place. They might not have as many famous players as PokerStars (PokerStars does really have a near monopoly on poker stars), but you’ll still be able to test your mettle against the best here – if you can afford it!
Because Party Poker is one of the old guard – one of the original breed of poker sites – we really wish we could say they are a brilliant site. However, they aren’t – although they are still very good. They really need a much better game selection in order to compete with sites such as PokerStars and 888Poker. The fact that they offer such a good range of depositing options and have so many good bonuses really adds to their appeal. Therefore, if you love playing Texas Hold ‘Em cash games, there’s nowhere better than Party Poker, but if you want more variety, you are better off playing at PokerStars or 888Poker.
- Large poker community
- Large range of depositing options
- A trusted name, formed in 1997
- Fast withdrawals
- Responsive live chat option
- Tournaments not currently offered
- Only Texas Hold ‘Em variety of poker is currently available
For more great mobile poker sites, check out our article on the Top 10 UK Mobile Poker Sites – see where you should be playing on your mobile today!
This review is last updated: 16 October 2014.
- Previous PokerStars Loses 7% of its Traffic – Here’s Some Possible Reasons Why
- Next Poker Addiction: The Worst Beat Of All